Wednesday 19 March 2014

Phoenix Rising from the Ashes

A year ago today,  I arrived at my beloved HH to find this


I could not believe it then - I still cannot believe it.



This became the iconic photo associated with the arson attack on HH - this piano was nearly 100 years old - I still have the petals from my birthday roses in my office as  a constant reminder that the Phoenix does rise from the ashes.

Today I wore this Alannah Hill dress. I did it without remembering it was actually in my HH cupboard the night of the fire - this photo is evidence.  Fancy that!


This post will be 5% sad, 95 % happy (a glass half full is just the kind of girl I am) - so let's get sad out of the way. Here is the "before" shot of the ballroom a year ago - and the after shot when the 149 year old white marble fireplace basically melted.


Here is the "before" shot of the area to be my office - and the utter devastation which greeted me the day of the fire.


But now onto the 95% happy. Lots has happened over the last 24 hours - 2 of my favourite people are leaving us  - safe travels V and R!


 They bought be this beautiful thank you gift - note the Hanworth Purple! And the fantastic pineapple card


Talking of purple, there is quite a lot of it emerging in our office 



Love these lamps from Laura Ashley


We celebrated Carl's birthday in usual HH fashion


of course we had cake! With a Hanworth purple ribbon no less - thanks to Hanworth Assistant - well played!



I think Carl liked it!
and he celebrated his birthday doing fabulous manoeuvres on this excavator - transforming my landscape of rubble


I have received some wonderful surprise visitors from Zonta - the beautiful Karyn and Keren, a double dose in 2 days - I am so lucky - thank you beautiful ladies!

 

Hanworth Sparkies almost look like they have settled into HH for ever!


Of course she had to return - superstar tea cosy is back - she cosied herself into the newly finished PA office - creating havoc everywhere she went. She just loves the new navy trellis rug
 
  
She settled on Hanworth EA desk pretending to be busy

 

And marvelled (as did we!) at the organisation of the stationery cupboard


But enough of the limelight for her - there was action plus to keep me distracted on this day which conjured  so many sad memories - Hanworth Carpenter Extraordinaire Pete (who has been on the job since the very first day) and I took a moment to reflect


We were both in tears this day a year ago. The removalists moved in


Tradelink delivered the disabled toilets (thanks Rachelle! You were fabulous!) - I promised to keep you updated readers on ALL news at HH - I am not leaving anything out!

 

B at the Bridge caffeined us on what was going to be an emotionally charged day - thanks B!
He is the self declared manager of all occasions at HH eventful 


 

HH's hardworking friend S arrived by ute ready to work and busied herself arranging the dining room and furniture


and A joined her in making the worksite so much more befitting (and clean) on this pivotal day


Remembrance flowers arrived from the beautiful A - so thoughtful


and did all these beautiful souls rock their magic - this was the dining room when we first moved into HH November 2012


This was it 12 months ago today before the arsonist did his deed


and this was it today


I was so proud as the sun set and the lights went on for the first time - thanks to Sparky HH and his team of magnificent men


So the day, like the blog, was 95 % happy. This card greeted me as I woke this morning - I thought it was so beautiful from 2 of my biggest fans


and as I left HH on this anniversary - there was just one more thing to do. Remember the story about my mother's beautiful silver teapot (taken by the arsonist) ?


Well it has been returned to its rightful spot


The Phoenix can rise from the ashes - just watch us...

Thank you to everyone who has been watching and encouraging this journey - tomorrow is my birthday - it wasn't much of a birthday last year, so I have plans to make up for this this year!

Goodnight 

xHH

4 comments:

  1. What a moving recount of what would have been the most enormous personal trial. Congratulations on your stamina and spunk HH. Your beautiful home looks, well....beautiful!! The Grand Green Lady is back (sheathed in purple). Have a fabulous year of 100% Happy. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon. It has been a truly trying 2 years. I don't mind the purple tinge which seems to have sheathed the green lady - maybe it was time for a true makeover after all. I want 100% happy - but I would settle for 80% happy (just so I am not taken for someone too high maintenance!) x HH

      Delete
  2. Happy happy bday to you HH
    What a year!
    Lovely to see all still moving along!
    X A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks x A - it is great to be moving it all along again (after my meltdown due to lack of progress!) x HH

      Delete